Facebook announced the Ethics in AI research awards in June with a regional focus of India.
To support thoughtful and groundbreaking academic research in Artificial Intelligence (AI) ethics, Facebook has selected six projects from India that will focus on three key areas – governance, cultural diversity and operationalising ethics.
The winners declared on Friday, included the top two submissions in each category.
“AI technological developments pose intricate and complex ethical questions that the industry alone cannot answer. We strongly believe that research questions in the application of AI should be addressed by independent academic research institutions along with the companies building and deploying the technology,” Facebook said.
To support these beliefs, Facebook announced the Ethics in AI research awards in June with a regional focus of India. The request for proposal (RFP) was open to academic institutions, think tanks, and research organizations registered and operational in India.
Research award winners
Projects selected under the operationalising ethics category include:
- “Patient-Centric Frameworks for the Evaluation of AI-Enabled Medical Tests” with Amit Sethi of IIT Bombay as principal investigator.
- “Targeted Bias in Indian Media Outlets” that has Animesh Mukherjee of IIT Kharagpur as principal investigator.
Projects picked for the governance category are:
- “Ethical Implications of Delegating Decision-making Journey to AI Systems”. It has Rahul De from the IIM Bangalore as principal investigator.
- “A Public Law of Information for India”, with Sudhir Krishnaswamy from the Centre for Law and Policy Research as its principal investigator.
Projects selected in the cultural diversity category are:
- “Mitigating Bias in Face Recognition for Vast Regional Diversity in India” which has Richa Singh from IIIT-Delhi as principal investigator
- “Regulatory Impact Assessment of the National AI Market Place of India” which has Varadharajan Sridhar from IIIT-Bangalore as principal investigator.
The proposed budget should be within ₹10,00,000 to ₹20,00,000 and all funds will be dispersed within three months of the award date, Facebook said.